Date: 9/26/17 1:36 pm
From: Paul Griffin <pgriffin1...>
Subject: Another Black-chinned hummingbird
Hi Folks,

Just when I find out I have a Black-chinned Hummingbird (not the same one I had at my feeders at Oak Park a few weeks ago), at my feeder yesterday at my residence in Riverside here in Wichita, we get a heavy rain front move through over night and all of the hummers coming to my feeder, about 5, have apparently left early this morning. I suspect, using the new North wind, all of them, including the immature female Black-chinned were getting pretty fat, so they were ready to make a long flight. Typically, hummingbirds migrate in the day time at low altitude. In the past, I have seen them come to the feeder early in the morning, top off with sugar water, and then leave the feeder, climbing out heading South, disappearing in the distance, not to return. They apparently did just that early this morning. Happily, I was able to get good video of the the Black-chinned, which easily stood out because of it’s long wing to tail length (wing almost as long as the tail, when at rest), and it’s heavy primary feathers, bent up towards the tail, with blunt/thick tips. Also heavy bill, slightly curved, with a general dirty gray neck and belly. At the same time I was recording Ruby-throated coming to the same feeder, and I easily could see the difference between the two species. The main difference is easily seen. When the bird is sitting on the feeder, the Black-chinned tail is almost as long as the end of the tail and curves up at the tail, with a blunt tip. The Ruby-throated wing is much shorter than it’s tail and it is mostly straight, with a pointed tip. Watch for that comparison and get some pictures if you can.

Happy Birding,

Paul Griffin

https://listserv.ksu.edu/ksbird-l.html
For KSBIRD-L guidelines go to