Date: 9/26/17 1:28 pm
Subject: Re: Flight calls - migrating thrushes?
A few practical questions on how to observe night thrushes' calls in
migration:

--- Is it only pre-dawn? or more generally -- what are the best times to
listen? (Is pre-dawn 4 a.m., or more like 6 a.m., if positing a sunrise
time of ~ 7:00)

-- All I seem to hear is crickets and katydids; how might I hear the birds
more easily?

-- Can night-thrush-listening be done anywhere, or only in natural areas /
concentrated migration pathways? (I know more birds travel certain funnels
and pathways, but would at least some birds be audible in most any location
in the Carolinas?)

Thank you to those who share so much information and experience on this
lovely list; it has certainly helped me come miles along my birding
journey, and be a much more acute birder than I would have flailing about
on my own .. there is nothing like the ability to ask questions and seek
insights from other people.

Betsy Kane
Raleigh

Join us on Facebook!