Date: 9/26/17 11:56 am
From: Barbara Harley <bmharley...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Vaux's Swifts going in chimney, Laguna Beach last weekend!
I was reluctant to post this, as it was a private residence on a narrow street. Now, the chimney has been blocked off, so no more Swifts there.
Thurs. 9/21, I noticed a flock of birds circling, similar to swallows, as I set off on a walk @ 7:15 a.m. On Bluebird Canyon Dr. we saw a few going in & out of a chimney. A neighbor said they had been there several days. That evening there were a few going in the chimney. Friday evening there were at least 100 circling, and going into the chimney about 6:45 p.m. Sat. a.m. they were leaving the chimney @ 8:45 a.m., just a few at a time.
The homeowner had been absent, but returned on Sat., to find soot everywhere inside. The damper must have been closed, but not well sealed, because I donít think she found any birds inside.
Pictures & videos taken by my husband can be found on our SmugMug site, at:
> https://2harleypics.smugmug.com/BirdStuff/Sept-21-23-2017-Vauxs-Swifts-Laguna-Beach-CA/

Barbara Harley
Laguna Beach, CA

------------------------------------

------------------------------------

Reports and bird identities are neither edited nor verified. Use at your own risk. Please consult the standard reference books for proper bird identification & currently accepted names. Please do NOT use abbreviations or acronyms in lieu of names. Both scientific and/or common names of birds are acceptable.

All posts must be on-topic: about birds/birding in Orange County, California (nowhere else!). Your posts must include both a clear subject line *and* your name *and your city of residence*. Off-topic posts will be deleted and the sender put on moderated status. Repeat offenders will be banned.

To search for a bird discussed in past messages, browse or search the archives at:

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)