Date: 9/26/17 11:55 am
Subject: Interesting Accipiter observation, Carteret County, NC
While waiting for the ferry to East Shackleford Banks in Carteret County,
NC on Sunday, five of us walked around the Waterfowl Museum pond hoping for
migrants (it was pretty quiet). Before we entered the woods, we saw what
we thought was a large immature Cooper's Hawk (probably female) fly past us
flushing birds before it banked behind some trees. It was a very brief
observation and I had no impression other than it was probably a Cooper's
Hawk. While on the trail, we came around a corner and saw what was surely
the same bird on the ground with a squirrel. It was under the tree canopy,
in dappled light, but we could see some details. We all agreed it was big
and bulky. A supercilium was clearly seen. Some of us thought the tail
bands looked uneven, but we didn't get good straight-on views of the tail
and the effect could have been due to the side-to-side curvature of the
tail feathers. Anyway, despite the early date, we entertained Northern
Goshawk, but came to no conclusions in the field. After examining the
photos, we have mostly decided it was just a large (female) immature
Cooper's Hawk. I have linked an eBird report with photos (some blurry due
to low light) in case you would like to take a look.

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__ebird.org_ebird_view_checklist_S39371315&d=DwIBaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=FTsr69HwS64hudDQLfPHY5Ywf9jZddtpSE_EfDJUVvY&s=vckhPxHDU-kH3U384AU7fPHfIUxUPnLKNOlmYvCxNVg&e=

Marty Wall
Beaufort, NC

Join us on Facebook!