Date: 9/26/17 10:20 am
From: Mark Holmgren <maholmgren33...> [sbcobirding] <sbcobirding-noreply...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] Greater Ellwood vicinity
I did a Coal Oil Point Reserve survey yesterday, then went to Coronado
Drive. Our 'best bird' was a family of Bobcats (2 40% grown kittens and 1
adult) laying along the western shore of the Dune Pond. We were there for
10 minutes scoping the birds before Jessica spotted them--they were
*that *cryptic.
They crept into the west side tules once detected. Not seen again.
Other birds at the Dune Pond were 1 each Short-billed Dowitcher, Wilson's
Snipe, Lesser Yellowlegs, Greater Yellowlegs, and Solitary Sandpiper. See
list here:

Devereux and Ellwood Beaches: 122 Snowy Plovers, 223 Sanderling, 169
Black-bellied Plovers. See list here:

Devereux Slough: very few birds N of the half-bridge; nice array of
expected shorebirds oceanwards of the bridge. See list:

Coronado Eucs: a bit less than an hour of effort produced 1 or 2
Black-chinned Hummingbirds at the home feeder shown on the aerial photo on
this eBird checklist. Otherwise, at the storm drain were Hooded Oriole,
Western Tanagers, Yellow, Orange-crowned, Black-throated Gray, Townsend's,
and Wilson's Warblers.
SB Audubon Society members have found a way to bring water to the storm
drain so there should be water there in the weeks to come. You may no
longer need to BYO Water.

Mark Holmgren
Goleta

Join us on Facebook!