Date: 9/26/17 10:23 am
From: DEBRA SHEARWATER <debi...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...>
Subject: [CB] County Seabirding: MTY & SCZ
Howdy, County Birders,

Birders on Shearwater Journeys’ September 24 Monterey Bay pelagic trip had another fine day at sea. Highlights included great views of BLACK-FOOTED ALBATROSS; PINK-FOOTED, FLESH-FOOTED, BULLER’S and SOOTY SHEARWATERS. Two BLACK-VENTED SHEARWATERS made a fast pass on return to the harbor. The Flesh-footed Shearwater gave a great show at the stern of the vessel. Photographic images were made with three species of shearwaters in flight in one frame!

One SOUTH POLAR SKUA and a fair number of POMARINE and PARASITIC JAEAGERS were harassing gulls or terns. A few more CASSIN’S AUKLETS had arrived, as compared to the September 22 trip. There seems to be krill deep in the water column. It if moves closer to the surface, these early buggers will be right on top of it! Three TUFTED PUFFINS were a good find.

Two SURFBIRDS were along the CG jetty along with the usual BLACK TURNSTONES. A small pod of BOTTLENOSE DOLPHINS were just off Lover’s Point beach.

BLUE and HUMPBACK WHALES continue to feed in the bay. RISSO’S and LONG-BEAKED COMMON DOLPHINS were milling about.

Seabirds were recorded in both Monterey and Santa Cruz Counties. This is the at least the second record of Flesh-footed Shearwater in Santa Cruz County this season.

Upcoming trips with spaces available include:

*SEP 30 with Alex Rinkert, Nick Levendosky, Scott & Linda Terrill, Clay Kempf
OCT 8 with Alex Rinkert, Nick Levendosky, Clay Kempf, Scott & Linda Terrill

Spaces are available on both trips. We meet at 7 a.m. and return about 3 p.m. For reservations email me: <debi...> <mailto:<debi...>

*PLEASE NOTE: SEP 30th is our annual SANTA CRUZ COUNTY pelagic trip! We’ve already seen some great SCZ County seabirds: FLESH-FOOTED SHEARWATER, SOUTH POLAR SKUA, SABINE’S GULL, ASHY STORM-PETREL, GUADALUPE, CRAVERI’S and SCRIPPS’S MURRELETS, and NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH and AMERICAN REDSTART! This trip is $105 and is a regular trip from 7 am to 3 pm.

Living the Salt Life and heading for Tropical Birds!
Debi Shearwater

DEBRA SHEARWATER
Shearwater Journeys, Inc.
PO Box 190
Hollister, CA 95024
831.637.8527
<debi...>
www.shearwaterjourneys.com
www.shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com

Celebrating 42 Years of Seabirding with Shearwater Journeys
Siberia’s Forgotten Coast & Spoon-billed Sandpiper-2019
Galapagos Islands: 30 October - 12 November 2019

Join us on Facebook!