Date: 9/26/17 10:18 am
Subject: Black-billed and Yellow-billed Cuckoos at Hefner Gap this morning
Arriving early I was joined by a local birder (did not ask permission to use his name.). There were a good number of migrants but most were back in the trees on the high side of the BRP, with no path to those areas. We did get on some good birds, the best of which was a Black-billed Cuckoo. We were joined by another birder as the action slowed down so decided to try the Orchard at 8:15. The Orchard today could accurately be described as lifeless so I and the second birder headed back to Hefner, where we saw a Yellow-billed Cuckoo with a fair sized flock of birds. The action lasted until approx.. 9:30.

I only saw six species of Warblers total during both sessions at Hefner – Tennessee, Hooded, Magnolia, Bay-breasted, Am. Redstart and Cape May, although I saw a good deal of activity at too great a distance to id. We did see a good number of Scarlet Tanagers and even more Rose-breasted Grosbeaks. We saw both Blue-headed and Red-eyed Vireos and I had an obstructed view of what may have been a Philadelphia. Saw several Empids as well as Wood Pewees and common birds.

Bill Haddad
Spruce Pine, N.C.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.avast.com_antivirus&d=DwIFaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=Opuau59zWLOy_RP1t9zeGTlsCeTPNlKABeiHbyGvheI&s=iWcnSDM40a-eeW7cZzgohRLrcwDOXHvkWaWiE4y374w&e=

Join us on Facebook!