Date: 9/26/17 7:45 am
From: Scott Seltman <sselt...>
Subject: Re: Hummers
The Red-necked Phalarope found by Kevin Groeneweg at Larned on 24 September (see yesterday's post) was still present on the afternoon of 25 September. I watched it running around like a plover up on shore for a couple minutes, then it entered the water and started swimming in typical phalarope fashion.

RNPH was long overdue for the Pawnee County list. Usually the shorebird habitat is so poor in Pawnee that we just don't see big collections of birds, but this has been an exceptional year for waterbirds . . . the best I've seen in 40 years of birding.

When the Black-bellied Whistling-Ducks arrived at Larned in June I theorized that BBWD was species #300 for the county, but quite frankly I've kinda lost count. But the Red-necked Phalarope defintely puts us in the 300+ club.

Not much else to report. No hummers at our house this morning and no appreciable fallout during all the rain yesterday.

Scott Seltman
Larned, Kansas

https://listserv.ksu.edu/ksbird-l.html
For KSBIRD-L guidelines go to