Date: 9/26/17 7:11 am
From: Nick Bonomo via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Long Island Sound report 9/24
On Sunday 9/24 my brother and I fished the Sound, covering ground from Norwalk all the way to The Race (NY) and around Fishers Island and back.

The sound was mostly birdless. We're sort of at that time between the staging Tern flocks clearing out and winter waterfowl moving in, but occasionally we get late Tern and especially Laughing Gull numbers that last through October. As of right now, that does not appear to be happening.

We saw hardly any Terns, and LAGU numbers were quite modest. No whiffs of any pelagic species, even over the state line around Fishers in open water. Not many birds working the top water fish action either.

The best sighting of the day came at The Race, where a large Leatherback Sea Turtle lingered at the surface for a minute. I first thought it was a seal when it's big head popped up. Very very cool.

Nick Bonomo
Wallingford, CT
www.shorebirder.com

Sent from my iPhone