Date: 9/25/17 11:09 pm
From: Wes Fritz <wes-fritz...> [sbcobirding] <sbcobirding-noreply...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] Santa Maria
SB Birders,
I was able to do some speed birding in Santa Maria today and I am positive I over looked many birds.

Jack O'Connell Park,
1- Pacific Golden Plover

Santa Maria Sewage Ponds
15+ Lesser Yellowlegs
6 American Avocets
4 Pectoral Sandpipers
1 Wilson's Snipe
7 Greater White-fronted Geese
1 Yellow-headed Blackbird

Santa Maria River Estuary
No birds of note, but it was going off with birds, whales and California Sea Lions. The feeding frenzy was awesome. The water had a foamy froth with 20? Whales, numerous sea lions and a tornado of birds feeding just off shore. I was hoping to see a booby or two, but I did see several unidentified jaegers mixed in this mess of birds.
I had limited time at this location, I would liked to have stayed longer.

If you are interested, there is a pelagic trip going out of Ventura on 10-7-17 you can check out the Island Packers website for more details. There is another pelagic trip going out of Morro Bay on the 14th, this another great trip. It will go out into rarely birded waters and we have seen some great birds on this trip in the past. If you are interested contact Mike Stiles at <mstiles...> Both of these trips are great for photographing pelagic birds.

These are currently the closest pelagic trips to our county, good birding.

Wes Fritz
805 895 0685
<wes-fritz...>
Solvang CA