Date: 9/25/17 10:39 pm
From: PETER LOW <plbirder...>
Subject: [COBOL] Last Weeks Birds News
Hi all,
I would like to mention a few birding highlights seen this past week, plus some birds to add to this weekend Hawk Watch at Green Ridge. So, this Sunday 9/24/17 I checked Hatfield at dawn before heading up to Green Ridge. I was pleasantly surprised to find a Pectoral Sandpiper on the 1st Pond, a first for the year. Other highlights below:

Long-billed Dowitcher 4
Least Sandpiper 5
Greater Yellowlegs 2
Merlin 1
Northern Harrier 1
American Pipit 60
Savannah Sparrow 100+
Vesper Sparrow 1
Pine Siskin 6

Green Ridge 9/24/17

After seeing Six species of Woodpecker yesterday we added another Two today with a single Downy and c30 Lewis's Woodpeckers passing bye, I think it was 15 in the largest group. Nine Band-tailed Pigeon passed early into the count.
A Black Swift put in a brief appearance, only seen by Two observers as it was screened by Trees on West side. Small groups of Vaux's Swift were seen throughout the day numbering 20 or more, also, Varied Thrushes in small groups moved East to West through the morning. I believe it was around 2.00pm when the juvenile Broad-winged Hawk sailed over, unfortunately very high.

Green Ridge 9/23/17

List of Birds other than Raptors, may be a few missing I forgot to note.

Common Loon 2
Sooty Grouse 2
American Three-toed Woodpecker 1 male
Black-backed Woodpecker 1
Pileated Woodpecker 1 called regularly
White-headed Woodpecker 1
Northern Flicker a few moving South
Hairy Woodpecker 2
Band-tailed Pigeon 4
Stella's Jay
Clarkes Nutcracker
Varied Thrush
Townsend's Solitaire 2
White-breasted Nuthatch 2
Red-breasted Nuthatch
Brown Creeper 1
Mountain Chickadee
Pacific Wren 1
Ruby-crowned kinglet 5
Golden-crowned Kinglet
Black-throated Gray Warbler 1
Yellow-rumped Warbler few
Hermit Thrush 1
Western Bluebird 5
Cassin's Finches
Purple Finches
Pine Siskin
Red Crossbill
Evening Grosbeak
Fox Sparrow Sooty 6 on way to site.
Dark eyed Junco
Vaux's Swift
Violet-green Swallow.

Stevens Canyon Road Sisters 9/19/17 Varied Thrush 1 first of the season.

Tumble Reservoir 9/20/17

Peregrine 1 imm male 1 adult female.
Greater White-fronted Goose 675 between 8.00-9.30am
Red-necked Phalarope 1
Peeps 4
Greater Yellowlegs 1
Wilson's Snipe 2
M. Bluebird 7
Hammond's Flycatcher 1
Hermit Thrush 1
Common Yellowthroat 1
Orange-crowned Warblers
Sharp-shinned Hawk 2
Merlin 1
Golden Eagle 2 adults
American Pipit 35
Ring-billed Gull 1

Hatfield Lake 9/20/17

Greater White-fronted Goose 1043
Cackling Goose 35
Peregrine 1 imm
Long-billed Dowitcher 15
Greater Yellowlegs 7
Western Sandpiper 3
Least Sandpiper 11
Red-necked Phalarope 3
White-crowned Sparrow c50
Golden-crowned Sparrow 4
Savannah Sparrows
Lincoln's Sparrow 6
Fox Sparrow 2 sooty
Orange-crowned Warbler 14+ many in Tule's
Common Yellowthroat 2
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Marsh Wren 2
Say's Phoebe 1
Virginia Rail 2
Eared Grebe 1
Pied-billed Grebe 4
Lesser Scaup 5 among the multitude of Ducks.

Indian Ford Creek Sisters 9/21/17

Varied Thrush 1
Yellow Warbler 5
Wilson's Warbler 1