Date: 9/25/17 7:47 pm
From: Jon Woolf <jswoolf01...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] NH Audubon Fall Pelagic Trip
Listfolk,

There's still time to sign up for Massabesic Audubon Center's fall
pelagic-birding trip, and we have plenty of room left.

WHAT: NH Audubon's fall pelagic birding trip, run out of Massabesic
Audubon Center.  Our hosts for the day are Captain Pete Reynolds and his
expert crew.  Steve Mirick will be on the microphone, calling out birds
and anything else interesting.

WHEN: Sunday, October 8th, 8am to 5pm

WHERE: Meet at 7:30AM dockside in Rye Harbor for an 8AM departure aboard
the MV /Granite State/.  We'll spend all day at sea, looking for birds
and anything else interesting (but mostly for birds).

WHAT TO BRING: Binoculars, of course.  A digital camera is always a good
idea, as these trips often produce excellent photo opportunities.  Bring
a lunch if you like. /Granite State/ has a snack bar aboard that can
provide both cold and hot food and drink, especially coffee and hot
chocolate.  Weather on the open water is unpredictable: sometimes hot,
sometimes rather chilly (although given the time of year, 'chilly' is
more likely).  Prepare for both.  Sunglasses and/or a hat are a good
idea.  Bring motion-sickness pills if you're vulnerable to seasickness.
/Granite State/'s seating is mostly wooden benches, so a seat cushion is
a good idea if you have trouble with sitting on hard surfaces.

WHAT WE MIGHT SEE: Hard to say.  Early October on Jeffrey's Ledge is a
'mixed' time of year, with a possibility of lingering summer birds,
early winter birds, fall migrants...   Past trips have produced Cory's
and Great shearwaters, Northern Fulmar, Northern Gannet, a Pomarine
Jaeger, a Black-legged Kittiwake, and a wide variety of fall migrants.
Beyond that, your guess is as good as ours!

REGISTRATION: You must register in advance for this trip.  We need a
minimum of 30 people to pay for the trip.  We've set a maximum of 50 so
that the boat doesn't get too crowded.  Cost is $70 for NH Audubon
members, $90 for non-members.  Contact Massabesic Audubon Center (phone
603-668-2045, email <mac...>) to sign up.   Contact either MAC
or me with any questions you might have.

PELAGIC BIRDS WORKSHOP: To go with the trip, I will be holding a 1-hour
workshop at Massabesic Center at 3pm on Saturday Oct 7th.  This is free
to anyone who has signed up for the trip, and $5 to others.  The
workshop discusses the most common pelagic birds and how to identify
them.  Since we generally see both whales and birds on these trips, the
workshop also includes information on the common whales of the Gulf of
Maine.

My thanks go out to all who have made these trips a success in past
years.  I hope to see you again this year ... along with as many new
faces as we can fit!

-- Jon Woolf

Join us on Facebook!