Date: 9/25/17 5:24 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (25 Sep 2017) 30 Raptors

Observers:

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (2): Kathleen Rengert
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Mostly Sunny (0-10% cloud cover), Ceiling - 30,000 ft., Visibility - 10
miles, Temps 73 - 89F, Winds ENE @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 1-Cooper's Hawk,
2-Red-shouldered Hawk, 4-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (55) and
Turkey Vultures (60).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-0; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-0; adult-1
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ ---“Just Who Turned Off the Faucet?”---

I stopped for coffee and a couple of blueberry bagels with mixed berry
cream cheese this morning, so when I arrived, my blood sugar was racing
wildly skyward. I hoped the hawks would soon be joining my blood sugar.
Kathleen was here before me, walked to warbler meadow seeing and
photographing a Yellow-billed Cuckoo, Magnolia Warbler, and Palm Warbler
for her efforts. (KR) We took another stroll, finding 2 more Cuckoos.
Kathleen has a job taking horse event pictures and gets some rather nice
birds, too.

Welcome to July in (very nearly) October, Kathleen. It was horribly humid
and warm already, with temps expected to get near or over 90F. Gonna be a
rough one out in this sun today! As it turned out, it sure was,
too….little was seen in the way of birds, hawks or people!

Please read about our scheduled Wine & Cheese Owl Prowl Event with a Celtic
Harp played by our friend, and professional Harpist, Pam Dimeler, in the
upcoming events section (below). I propose this…we call our new wine
tasting group participants, “Wine-O’s” in deference to the bird Baltimore
“Oriole,” a colorful and musical personal favorite, and the same regional
baseball club’s name. We’ll be the “Early Bird ‘Wine-O’s!’” I can see the
t-shirt now! Anita! I have an idea!! Anita, you’re not just a great
baker (as evidenced by your cookies over the years at Longwood), but you’re
a fine artist, as well – I know this! Come sit with me! Let’s chat!
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
3-Yellow-billed Cuckoo, 2-Magnolia Warbler, 3-Palm Warbler, 8-Bobolink.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (13): Monarch - 40, Cabbage White,
Crescent, Black Swallowtail, Orange Sulphur, Common Checkered Skipper,
Buckeye, Variegated Fritillary, Wild Indigo Duskywing, Sachem. Dragonflies
(2): Green Darner, Black Saddlebags. Reptiles & Amphibians (0): Mammals
(1): Eastern Cottontail.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 7.25; Steps: 17,003; Floors:
56.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 47; this season: 111
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks Partly Sunny with light winds.
<BR><BR>
Rain or shine.

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek