Date: 9/25/17 3:19 pm
From: greg hanisek via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] LHP 09-25-17
At the Lighthouse Point hawk watch today it wasn't very good, as expected, but it was better than the abysmal day in the hot sun I envisioned. The wind early was NE (good) but almost non-existent (not good). It turned SE fairly quickly (not good) but the SE velocity picked up as the hours passed (turned out to be OK). We had a total of 14 hawks from 7 to noon, but from noon to 1 a freshening breeze brought 19, with 3 more shortly after top of the 1 pm hour. Then we zeroed out up to 2 p.m.
Aside from hawks we did have a modest flight of Blue Jays and a lot of Tree Swallows going in many directions. Little else of note other than one Common Loon and one getting-late (presumed) Ruby-throated Hummingbird.
Helping early were Bill Banks, Paul Desjardins and Paul Smith. Keeping me company later and helping find those high birds was Tony Tortora (emeritus).
Greg HanisekWaterbury