Date: 9/25/17 2:52 pm
From: Tom Schilke <tom.schilke...>
Subject: [ia-bird] George Wyth State Park
One of the better places to bird this time of year in George Wyth State Park in Waterloo is the Canfield area. A sign points you to the parking lot. I park next to the paved bike trail and follow it south towards the river until it splits near the highway and then turn back on the dirt easement road. Along the rutted road are quite a few puddles that birds use to bathe and get a drink, zipping in and out from thick brush. The food source is heavy this time of year with grape, dogwood, choke cherry, black cherry, hawthorn, etc. The puddles and food attract more birds than I have been seeing in other places.

This morning was better than usual with 57 species (12 warbler sp.) More numbers for once, too. Some highlights:

Golden-winged Warbler
Bay-breasted warbler
Canada Warbler
No. Parulas - one was singing
Red shouldered hawk - no other hawks though
Philadelphia Vireo
R.C Kinglets
W.T. sparrows
Scarlet Tanager
Pileated Woodpecker
Baltimore Oriole
Waxwings, robins, catbirds having a field day.
Gray Squirrel - unusual for Waterloo

Tom Schilke- Waterloo