Date: 9/25/17 1:53 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Techny Basin South, Techny North & Heritage Park Monday 9-25-17
Hello Bird People,

Today I did my usual followup to a long birding trip by staying close
to home & as I had to get up at 2:30 a.m. to leave by 3:30 a.m. on
Sunday I did not get up very early today (6:30 a.m.). Did the 2
Technys today as we have rain coming in a few days & those 2 places
flood easily. Did not expect to see much but was surprised to actually
find one shorebird which is hard to find in Cook County.
I guess if you cover anywhere often enough you'll stumble on a "good"
bird once in a while.

Techny Basin South (9-10:15 a.m.)

Covered the "pond", the basin & the stream.

Great Blue Heron (4) & Great Egret (6)
Canada Goose (21, all in the stream) & Mallard (37)
Killdeer (2), Lesser Yellowlegs (2) & Solitary Sandpiper (3)
Ring Billed Gull (11 in the shopping area)
Rock Pigeon (18) & Mourning Dove (4)
Crow (1), Palm Warbler (4) & Goldfinch (4-6)

Techny North Of Willow (10:30-10:55 a.m.)

D.C. Cormorant (4)
Great Blue Heron (5) & Great Egret (the usual 1)
Canada Goose (18), Wood Duck (8), Mallard (4), Shoveler (1-F) & Blue
Winged Teal (2)
Killdeer (4) & Wilson's Snipe (1)
LONG BILLED DOWITCHER (1-JUV)
Rock Pigeon (1 fly-by), Blue Jay (H-1) & Gray Catbird (H-1)

Heritage Park In Wheeling (11:45 a.m.-12:20 p.m.)

Covered the stream, soccer field & main pond.

P.B. Grebe (9) & D.C. Cormorant (10)
Great Blue Heron (2)
Canada Goose (119) & Mallard (39)
Turkey Vulture (1 soaring above)
Coot (1)
Killdeer (8 on the soccer fields & 1 by the stream)
Ring Billed Gull (41)
House Sparrow (heard a few)

Bird awards today will go to the 2 Big Billed Boys (or Girls) seen at
Techny North:
Bird-Of-The-Day goes to the juvenile Long Billed Dowitcher & Runner-Up
to the Wilson's Snipe.
Although I saw over 15 L.B. Dowitchers on Sunday today's sighting was
better for 2 reasons one of which was that today's bird was MUCH
closer so the viewing was great & the other reason being that a "good"
bird found by yourself is always better than seeing one found by
others that you chased after just to add to a list. It should always
be your goal to find something on your own even though it seldom
happens. So get out there & find something!

Al Stokie
Close to home in Cook County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings: