Date: 9/25/17 1:21 pm
From: David Vick <or.naturalist...>
Subject: [COBOL] Sunday's Green Ridge Raptors / BWHA
As predicted by Kim Boodie, the count did pick up on Sunday with a fair
diversity of 87 raptors moving through and 79 Turkey Vultures.
Interestingly, Bonney Butte had 48 raptors and 22 TVs on the same day, with
the same conditions but with 3 more hours of observation. (They run from
8:00 till 6:00 whereas we run from 10:00 till 5:00.) Sunday's observers
were Peter Low, Judy Meredith, Chuck Gates, Satch and Nancy Esperancilla
with three visitors. Birds moved through at a steady rate mainly low on
the east side in the morning. Due to the lack of significant winds the
birds went high overhead on thermals in the afternoon with a couple of
exciting bursts of activity after Peter had left, unfortunately. It was
the second day without a Kestrel. (Bonney Butte has documented a 5.37%
average decrease for this species from 1994 through 2004.)

2 Osprey
6 Bald Eagle
21 Sharp-shinned Hawk
18 Cooper's Hawk
26 Red-tailed Hawk
1 Broad-winged Hawk (light juvenile)
4 Golden Eagles
2 Merlin
2 Peregrine
3 Unid. Accipiter
1 Unid. Buteo (possibly a second BWHA)
1 Unid. Raptor
79 TV

Other birds seen on site included Band-tailed Pigeon, Lewis's, Downy &
Black-backed WP, Purple Finch, Varied Thrush, YR Warbler, Violet-green &
Barn Swallow, Clark's Nutcracker, Black & Vaux's Swift and a bunch of other
prey base species that I didn't pay attention to.

David Vick
Terrebonne