Date: 9/25/17 9:56 am
From: <reports...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Carter Hill Observatory (24 Sep 2017) 20 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 3 3
Unknown Eagle 0 1 1
Unknown Raptor 0 27 27

Total: 20 4523 4523

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 8 hours

Official Counter: Ken Klapper

Observers: Mike Bourgault, Paul Bourgault, Steve Manifold

Visitors:
Three-hundred and seventeen. Many thanks to all for your great questions,
generous donations, to buyers of raptor silhouette guides, and of course to
our regulars and volunteers who assisted in the morning (but hopefully
found shelter from the heat and sun in the afternoon).

Weather:
Warm to start (70F), unseasonably hot in the afternoon (90F) with the "blue
sky of death" to contend with for picking out birds. Hazy, with light or
no winds. A bit like being under a broiler.

Raptor Observations:
A score of migrant birds of prey. However these included two Bald Eagles
and six Osprey, which is a respectable ratio!

Non-raptor Observations:
A Blue-headed Vireo called from the edge of the woods mid-morning, and a DC
Cormorant headed west, followed a while later by a YB Sapsucker. The
predicted airshow celebrating the NASCAR races never materialized...
(however at one point a supersonic jet was clearly heard by all in the
orchard, but not seen by me, at least). Ten Monarchs, including one who
came to the observation deck to greet three English visitors who I was
having a wonderful conversation with.

Predictions:
Hot again, but maybe Clarry Hill's 400+ Broadwings will grace Carter Hill.
Please give our volunteer Monday counter a helping hand, er... eye, or at
least some good conversation to pass the hours. They probably wouldn't say
no to a cold lemonade, either :^)
Report submitted by Ken Klapper (<kklapper...>)
Carter Hill Observatory information may be found at:
www.nhaudubon.org

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=679