Date: 9/25/17 9:59 am
From: Stephen Mirick <smirick...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Sue Reynolds has retired and the "Uncle Oscar" is now gone!
For many coastal birders, the "Uncle Oscar" boat has been used to travel
between the mainland and the Isles of Shoals.  It has provided the best
transportation to Star Island; either by "Stop-over" cruises or as a
chartered boat for birding trips to Star Island.   The owner and Captain
of the boat is Sue Reynolds and she has decided to retire.  The boat is
now gone and will now live under a different name on Martha's Vineyard!
It was quite a shock as we learned this yesterday.  And it is especially
sad for Jane and I since we chartered Sue Reynolds and her boat to take
us out to Appledore Island where we were married in 2005.  Leo Axtin,
Sue's partner, was the Justice of the Peace for our wedding.  Below is
the story of Sue's retirement:

http://www.seacoastonline.com/news/20170924/sue-reynolds-looks-back-at-her-life-on-sea

The "summer" season is now nearing its end for the Isles of Shoals in
2017.  It remains to be seen whether a boat replaces Sue's by next
year.  For now, though, the Isles of Shoals Steam Ship Company will
likely continue to offer access to the islands.

https://islesofshoals.com/

Steve Mirick
Bradford, MA