Date: 9/25/17 8:49 am
From: Gail Mackiernan <katahdinss...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Wheaton Regional Park today 9/25
Hi all,

Big contrast from yesterday - today it was a matter of scraping birds up. The only migrant species in number was Ruby-crowned Kinglet, the little sprites seemed to be everywhere. We had our FOS Golden-crowns today, flagged by eBird. Looking into Brookside Gardens, found a flock of Kinglets in same area was yesterday, they had a few warblers, including a Yellow Palm, with them. Ended up with 9 warbler species but none in any number, including a late Blue-winged that I just glimpsed but which other birders saw well. Best for us was another Philadelphia Vireo near the white house but Jeff Shenot had a juvie Red-headed WP in the picnic area. Unfortunately despite considerable looking, we could not relocate it. Cold front coming, though...stay tuned!

Gail Mackiernan and Barry .Cooper
Colesville, MD

49 species, birds of interest below:

Great Blue Heron 1
Green Heron 1
Chimney Swift 3
Belted Kingfisher 1
Hairy Woodpecker (Eastern) 1
Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted) 6
Pileated Woodpecker 2
Eastern Phoebe 1
Philadelphia Vireo 1
Red-eyed Vireo 8
Blue Jay 20 Estimate
House Wren (Northern) 5
Golden-crowned Kinglet 2 First of season, with Ruby-crowns.
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 18
Eastern Bluebird X Heard only
Swainson's Thrush 1
Gray Catbird 8
Blue-winged Warbler 1
Black-and-white Warbler 4
Common Yellowthroat 3
American Redstart 4
Northern Parula 3
Magnolia Warbler 1
Chestnut-sided Warbler 1
Palm Warbler (Yellow) 1 Gardens
Black-throated Green Warbler 2
Chipping Sparrow 5
Eastern Towhee 2
Scarlet Tanager 1
Rose-breasted Grosbeak 1 Male, even sang a bit

Sent from my iPad