Date: 9/25/17 4:13 am
From: Albert Guarente <0000005bfd76f698-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Re: Prince G. jaeger ID
Alex       I would like to present my arguments for this Jaeger being a Parasitic. I will also state that I have not seen the bird in person and have no intentions of traveling that distance to observe the bird in person. So in other words I not interested in listing this bird for PA or any county.       Some important ID features separating this from a juvenile Long-tailed are....
- the undersurface of all primary bases is pale, creating a pale half moon (unlike Long-tailed which show a narrower "new moon") but less striking than any skua.- large broad wings where they meet the body.
- in my opinion the bird has larger rounded head than would be expected from a Long-tailed.
- shorter tail extension than Long-tailed. Parasitic's tail extension is typically shorter than the width of the arm.- one photo shows upper primaries with just two white shafts (good for Long-tailed) however the next photo, with a better angle shows the upper primaries having extensive white in many of the primary feathers

Al Guarente
Delaware County, Pa 19063
CallSend SMSCall from mobileAdd to SkypeYou'll need Skype CreditFree via Skype

On Friday, September 22, 2017 4:14 PM, Alex Lamoreaux <aslamoreaux...> wrote:

I've just had a few minutes to catch up with the photo documentation of the recent jaeger sighting at Prince Gallitzin SP and the photos show a very clear juvenile Long-tailed Jaeger, not a Parasitic as it has been IDed on eBird. Some important ID features separating this from a juvenile Parasitic are....

-small head with large eye
-short bill with bulbous tip
-very light plumage with blonde tips to mantle feathers
-dark primaries with only a very thin pale edge to each primary tip
-tail length meets primary length when floating

Photo documentation of the bird: https://ebird.org/media/catalog?date.beginMonth=1&searchField=species&date.beginYear=2017&date.endYear=2017&taxonCode=parjae&view=GalleryionCode=US-PA&action=show&date.yearRange=YCURRENT&date.endMonth=12&onlyUnrated=false&date.monthRange=M1TO12&start=0&count=30&mediaType=Audio,Photo,Video&sort=upload_date_desc&q=Parasitic%20Jaeger%20-%20Stercorarius%20parasiticus&species=Parasitic%20Jaeger%20-%20Stercorarius%20parasiticus®ion=Pennsylvania,%20United%20States%20(US)

Alex Lamoreaux

I'm out birding, so this email was sent from my iPhone!

Join us on Facebook!