Date: 9/24/17 9:34 pm
From: Craig Miller <gismiller...>
Subject: [COBOL] Lake County Raptors
Hi all,

With all the reports of Broad-winged Hawks on the various raptor counts,
Marilyn and I decided to head down to Fremont Point (on Winter Rim west of
Summer Lake Wildlife Area) in hopes of finding one in Lake County.

Although we did not have the good fortune of finding a Broad-winged Hawk,
we did see more than 50 raptors over 4 hours, all heading south. I am sure
that if we had more eyes, we would have observed more.

Fremont Point is the highest elevation location along Winter Rim with a
clear view along the rim as far as 15 miles to the north. Many raptors
popped right up in front of us as they took the air currents up the rim
(from below) where it curves from west to east (just north of where the
cabin sits). Other raptors stayed below the rim to the east where we
observed them from above. Most stayed west of where we were stationed. The
wind came from the north.

Although the geographic configuration is not theoretically ideal for
predominant west winds (i.e. steep scarp is on the east side, not the
west), this location turned out to be better than I expected for watching
raptors.

A few were so distant that we were unable to identify species, or even
family group. Our list follows:

Turkey Vulture - 7
Osprey - 1
Golden Eagle - 5
Northern Harrier - 5
Sharp-shinned Hawk - 14
Cooper's Hawk - 9
Red-tailed Hawk - 10
American Kestrel - 2
Unidentified raptor - 7

There was a scarcity of non-raptors to distract us including:

Common Raven - 4
Rock Wren - 1
Pine Siskin - 1

Cheers,