Date: 9/24/17 7:14 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (24 Sep 2017) 505 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 505 11247 11256

Observation start time: 09:00:00
Observation end time: 17:00:00
Total observation time: 8 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Cathy Huneke, Hank Davis, Kathleen Pileggi

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (20): Cathy Huneke, Jordan Huneke, Hank Davis, Lana Glass, Colleen
DelMonte, Arild Hestvik, Carol Majors, Ron Majors, Kathleen Pileggi,
Jean-Marie Gauthier, Susan Huffington, Sue McLaughlin, Elaine Kirk, Deb
Kirchdoerfer, Lorrie Sherron, Maria & Elias Zouras, John Fahey, Tom
Brokaw.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Sunny (0% cloud cover), Ceiling - 30,000 ft., Visibility - 10 miles, Temps
68 - 89F, Winds NNW-NE @ 5 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 1-Cooper's Hawk,
2-Red-shouldered Hawk, 4-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (75) and
Turkey Vultures (70).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-1; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-0; adult-2
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ ---“It Was Good, But, Don’t Lose Your Head, Fellas – It
Wasn’t THAT Good!”---

It’s Sunday, and that means we have our regular bird walk first today.
There should still be some warblers around, but their migration is slowing
down. It will be totally over by mid-October, as some stragglers persist.
Still, there are some rarer species that come through late to be searched
for – Connecticut Warbler and Orange-crowned Warbler come to mind. And
then there are western strays to add spice to the late migration thru
November, and this is beyond the hawks. Yeah, it’s still an exciting time
in the birding world. So, what did we see on our walk this morning? The
star was a Philadelphia Vireo, the season’s first White-throated Sparrow,
and some Parulas, Magnolias, Black-throated Green, American Redstart,
Blackburnian, Black-and-white, and Palm Warblers.

Maria was proudly sporting brand new binoculars on today’s walk - husband
Elias…not so much. And it was a quiet, though smoldering issue! Maria
was seeing things….a couple of them were actually real. Sorry Maria, we
males must unite as you’ll read below. And Elias NEEDS a new pair, too.
Be cautious, Elias…these women have ways, as you too, will read below. Be
very careful of any offer the conniving Maria makes… lol

On the Sharp Road meadow, Kathleen spotted a huge, obviously pregnant
Praying Mantis. That means there is very likely one less male Praying
Mantis. As I’m sure you know, when Praying Mantis mate, the male often
“bites the big one,” as the female usually turns on the male, kills it, and
eats his head! Talk about “performance anxiety” - how about “performance
fear??” In our vernacular, is that really “getting lucky?” We males need
to boycott that…turn in your “male cards,” fellas! Stand with our abused
comrades in arms….praying arms! Just how do these males get talked into
that - EVER?? It had better be good! I mean, REALLY good!!! I have yet
another joke, but I’ll leave it alone…

WE saw more warblers, seemingly cleverly hiding behind leaves suddenly
turning color, and avoiding identification. This hiding behind the leaves
story led to a request for me to tell my moose story. Naahhhh…ok well,
since you asked so nicely….here it is again:

On a trip I led to Canada some years ago, we went looking for Moose. We
always do, often finding a few. On this particular day we found one
scurrying across a meadow, the road just in front of us, and into a wooded
area of short very small Birches. Can a Moose scurry?? Well, I say he
scurried. Upon reaching the very first tiny sapling, Bullwinkle, slammed
on the brakes, instantly stopping with his head behind the sapling. JUST
his head! No, I correct myself…not his entire head, just his eyes.
Meanwhile, there was 99% of his incredible length and 4 tons of Moose
sticking out behind the tree… just feet off the road, but this Moose
couldn’t see us, so we obviously couldn’t see him – that was how this Moose
felt, anyway. He was HIDDEN! And there he remained out of our sight!
“What Moose??” I said, laughing hysterically. “I don’t see no Moose!!”
Maybe I couldn’t…my vision blurred with tears!

It was nice to spend quite a bit of time with the property owner here at
Bucktoe Creek Preserve, Tom Brokaw today, sharing ideas, stories and
laughs. Thanks Tom. I enjoyed that. I’m counting on you, Margaretta and
Maggie, all being our guests (you’re all OFFICIALLY invited), coming to our
Wine & Cheese Event on Friday evening, October 20 held right at the Hawk
Watch built on your property. This will be a very special event, with
local wine maker Tom Zunino invited to serve and speak about his new wine.
A bonfire will add further ambiance, what could be better? Try this – a
performance on her beautiful Celtic Harp by our friend, professional
Harpist, fellow birder, and friend to The Watch, Pam Dimeler. We witnessed
Pam perform tonight after the watch in a Hockessin, Delaware performance to
the public. She was fantastic. This will be an incredibly classical wine
and cheese. After sampling ALL this, we will walk away from the pavilion
and down a trail, leading an owl prowl for Barred Owls, Screech Owls, and
possibly Great Horned Owl. Adding further flavor to the event will be our
coffee, crackers and fruit spread. Some of the cheeses available will be
from a local fine, award-winning maker Doe Run Farms. For those failing to
rise to the classical challenge put forth here, we will have Velveeta
Cheese and Mad Dog 20/20 available for your “discriminating tastes!” More
details on this tomorrow…

At 1:40, a tiny cloud blew over – we had a cloud! So, I birded the Hell
outta that tiny cloud. It worked! I saw 3 Broad-winged Hawks…then the
cloud dissipated into more vast blue nothingness. It was our only cloud.
That means that we had exactly 8,945 times as many Broad-winged Hawks
during the last two days, as we had clouds on this day. Not like the last
two days, but there were birds up there – will still got 441 Broad-wings,
on this clearly, more difficult day!

My “clicker” needed the personal health day off, anyway!
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
1-PHILADELPHIA VIREO, 2-Ruby-crowned Kinglet, 55-Northern Parula,
2-Magnolia Warbler, 4-Black-throated Green Warbler, 1-Blackburnian Warbler,
3-Palm Warbler, 1-Black-and-white Warbler, 6-American Redstart, 1-Blue
Grosbeak, 12-Bobolink, 1-Baltimore Oriole.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (12): Monarch - 65, Cabbage White,
Crescent, Orange Sulphur, Common Checkered Skipper, Buckeye, Variegated
Fritillary, Wild Indigo Duskywing, Sachem. Dragonflies (2): Green Darner,
Black Saddlebags. Reptiles & Amphibians (0): Mammals (2): Eastern
Cottontail, Eastern Gray Squirrel.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 5.98; Steps: 14,030; Floors:
33.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 58; this season: 111
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (1):”
White-throated Sparrow.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks similar, light northerly winds, lots of sun.
<BR><BR>
Rain or shine.

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek