Date: 9/24/17 5:31 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Chautauqua NWR & Thompson Lake Sunday
Hello Bird People,

Drove down to Chautauqua with Andy Sigler & Bob Erickson where we met
up with Craig T &
Phil D & we checked the Round Tree section of the place. Then to the
Crossdike where we were joined by Davida & Dale K plus Nathan & Eric G
& others. After which several of us finished up at the Goofy Ridge
portion of the place. As mentioned by others there are many shorebirds
here but most are distant & with different lighting conditions it's
not always easy to I.D. or count the birds. Overall we found far fewer
species & individuals than Colin found yesterday. We had no Spotted,
Solitary, Semipalmated, Baird's or White Rumped Sandpipers. Nor did we
find Greater Yellowlegs, S.B. Dowitcher, Snipe & Red Necked & Red
Phalaropes.

However, we did see:

Black Bellied (12) & Golden (350-400) Plovers
(The Black Bellied flew over the crossdike & the Golden were along the
Goofy Ridge pathway)
Killdeer (50-60) & Semipalmated Plover (2)
Lesser Yellowlegs (100's), Stilt (~60), Least (6) & Pectoral (~10) Sandpipers
BUFF BREASTED SANDPIPER (2, along the Goofy Ridge pathway)
Sanderling (8-10), Dunlin (1) & Long Billed Dowitcher (12-15)
WILSON'S PHALAROPE (1, our only Phalarope of the day)

Waterfowl seen but impossible to count were Canada Geese, Mallards,
Shovelers, Pintail & both
Green Winged & Blue Winged Teal.

Mixed in with about 150 Ring Billed Gulls was 1 FRANKLIN'S GULL & 2
Caspian Terns flew by.

Swallows were Tree, Bank, Cliff & Barn & also seen were Kingfisher
(1), Bald Eagles (3), D.C. Cormorants, White Pelicans (100's), Great
Blues & Great Egrets. Heard a calling Bobwhite near the Crossdike. Our
biggest miss of the day was the reported Sharp Tailed Sandpiper seen
yesterday by Colin but not found today, at least by us.

Thompson Lake (after lunch)

Didn't look long here but did not find any Bonaparte's, Laughing or
Franklin's Gull.s among the Ring Billed Gulls. Did find 2 WESTERN
GREBES but not the 3rd one. Many Cormorants & Pelcans were seen here.

Later on a pond edge we added 12 Greater Yellowlegs which was a new
shorebird species for us.

I think we had 15 species of shorebirds even though we missed several
species seen yesterday.
Bird-Of-The-Day for me will be the 2 Western Grebes & Runner-Up to the
Franklin's Gull both new year birds for me as I have not been down
here since early July.

We saw very few rare license plates today but the best was 1 from Utah
seen on I-55.

Al Stokie
In Mason & Fulton Co's today "enjoying" the birds & the heat

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: