Date: 9/24/17 4:34 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Pack Monadnock Raptor Migration Observatory (24 Sep 2017) 37 Raptors
Pack Monadnock Raptor Migration Observatory
Peterborough, New Hampshire, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: Sep 24, 2017

Black Vulture 0 0 0
Turkey Vulture 0 6 6
Osprey 0 138 138
Bald Eagle 1 66 66
Northern Harrier 3 41 41
Sharp-shinned Hawk 19 647 647
Cooper's Hawk 3 65 65
Northern Goshawk 0 0 0
Red-shouldered Hawk 1 10 10
Broad-winged Hawk 9 8687 8687
Red-tailed Hawk 0 4 4
Rough-legged Hawk 0 0 0
Golden Eagle 0 0 0
American Kestrel 0 90 90
Merlin 0 52 52
Peregrine Falcon 0 14 14
Unknown Accipiter 0 1 1
Unknown Buteo 0 2 2
Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 1 25 25

Total: 37 9848 9848

Observation start time: 06:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 10 hours

Official Counter: Katrina Fenton

Observers: Alan Bostick, Andre Moraes, Brian Rohde, Dot Currier,
Louise Rohde, Mark Timmerman, Meade Cadot, Mike Gebo

Visitors:
159

Weather:
Hazy and hot. Mount Kearsarge was the most distant peak viewable through
the somewhat opaque past slathered across the horizon. Bees hung in the
sluggish air, which occasionally roused itself into enough of a NW wind to
stir the blushing maple leaves. We watched one small cumulus dissolve
within moments of being spotted, replaced by two other distant cotton balls
of cloud in the final minutes of the day. Temperatures rose to the mid-90s
according to the weather station on the mountain; and it certainly felt
like an accurate reading, at least with the heat index factored in.

Raptor Observations:
The skies seemed busier with resident raptors than migrants for much of the
day. The local Turkey Vulture gang is now 12 strong, and one of the
immature Red-tailed Hawks couldn't resist tangling with a passing Bald
Eagle, sending the eagle cartwheeling with a passing swoop. An hour of
vultures, eagles, an adult Northern Goshawk, and a Peregrine Falcon all
heading north made us start to wonder if we'd signed up for a spring hawk
watch instead of fall.

Non-raptor Observations:
Not a bad day for overall bird diversity with 38 species observed.
A Ceder Waxwing made itself comfortable in one of the mountain ash trees,
posing for pictures and admired through scope and binoculars by dozens of
the day's visitors. It sat quietly for several hours, occasionally snacking
on one of the berries growing within easy beak range. As the clock struck
5pm and we packed up our gear, it flew off to the southwest, its day of
people watching over.

Non-raptor Migrants:
Greater Yellowlegs- 4
Eastern Phoebe- 1
American Pipit- 1
Pine Warbler- 1
Yellow-rumped Warbler- 9
Blackpoll Warbler- 6
Black-throated Green Warbler- 2
Black-throated Blue Warbler- 1
(yellow) Palm Warbler- 1
warbler sp.- 4
Evening Grosbeak- 1
Purple Finch- 2
American Goldfinch- 1
passerine sp.- 2

Predictions:
More of the same, only this time the wind will be out of the east and
there's a better chance of some patchy morning fog. Slowly by slowly we're
getting closer to counting the 10,000th migrant....
Report submitted by Katrina Fenton (<gosknits...>)
Pack Monadnock Raptor Migration Observatory information may be found at:
www.nhaudubon.org

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=320