Date: 9/24/17 3:43 pm
From: Steve Huggins <sjhuggins1209...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Rainbow Nelson's / Calumet Shorebirds - Sun Sep24th AM
I headed down to a few Chicago south-side spots this morning - heading down Lake Shore Drive i was a bit annoyed to find that all lanes were closed south of 31st St so I had to make a big detour to get to Rainbow Beach - I’m glad I persisted with my original plan though as there were at least 6 showy Nelson’s Sparrows in the dunes at Rainbow, not too much else but 6 Sanderling and a Least Sandpiper made a brief stop on the beach.

2nd stop was Burnham - I only checked the entrance road pond - not too many shorebirds here - there was a nice Black-bellied Plover and 3 Least Sands here. I went to park in the parking lot but there were some not so friendly people looking quite dodgy and I didn’t fancy leaving my car in the vicinity.

Moved on to Hegewisch Marsh which continues to hold shorebirds, highlight was a Long-billed Dowitcher (the same bird from a couple of weeks back??), also 16 Pecs, 2 Solitary’s, 1 Greater Yellowlegs, 14 Lesser Yellowlegs, 4 Wilson’s Snipe etc.

A brief stop at Indian Ridge was very quiet with just a few Great egrets and a Belted Kingfisher. I wasn’t going to stop at Big Marsh as the heat was really picking up but a Sharp-shinned Hawk and an adult Red-shouldered Hawk circling near the entrance made me slow down and I decided to scope what you can see from the old viewing point on Stony Island Avenue, among 80 or so Blue-winged Teal were 2 Northern Pintail and 15 Green-winged Teal.

Full list of all sites can be viewed at:
http://www.igoterra.com/rs.asp?userid=283&d=2017-09-24 <http://www.igoterra.com/rs.asp?userid=283&d=2017-09-24>

Cheers
Steve Huggins
Chicago, IL