Date: 9/24/17 1:37 pm
From: John Fussell <jofuss...>
Subject: Bar-tailed Godwit, Ruff, and American Golden-Plover in Carteret County, NC
This morning, we (Marty Wall, Chandra Biggerstaff, John Runkle, Jim Runkle,
and I) spotted a Bar-tailed Godwit at east Shackleford Banks, near Barden's
Inlet. The bird is an adult, with some traces of breeding plumage (rufous
color on the belly). I bet that it is the same bird that we found out there
last fall.

The bird was on the ocean (=bight) side beach, with Black-bellied Plovers,
Short-billed Dowitchers, and Red Knots. The tide was very high (the
soundside flats were all submerged), and there was a brisk NE wind.

Also today, Clyde Atkins found an American Golden-Plover at the south end of
the Beaufort Club golf course. And the Ruff is still there. Note that in
one week, Clyde has found a Ruff, an American Golden-Plover, and a
Buff-breasted Sandpiper in the same little area. We should call this area
"Clyde's Corner).

Marty, Chandra, John, Jim, and I stopped by to see the American
Golden-Plover and Ruff, so, in combination with the Bar-tailed Godwit, we
had a pretty good shorebird day.

By the way, the ferry to Cape Lookout/east Shackleford will probably not run
again until the end of the week, because of expected high winds in
conjunction with Hurricane Maria.

John Fussell
Morehead City, NC

Join us on Facebook!