Date: 9/24/17 9:49 am
From: Josh <opihi...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] FaceBook addendum to Race Point report: SHORT-TAILED SHEARWATER!
Hi MassBirders,

In addition to the already spectacular tally of birds reported from Race Point yesterday by Sean Williams, Blair Nikula, Steve Arena et al, reportedly Steve Howell photographed a shearwater which he subsequently confirmed from his photos as a Short-tailed! Ned Brinkley commented on a FaceBook post that he had seen Steve's photos as well. This would be a first state record, if accepted by MARC (and why wouldn’t it be if Steve Howell and Ned Brinkley both agree on it?), and one of only 4 or 5 reports for the Atlantic coast! The photos have not been posted or shared yet as far as I know, hopefully they’ll become available for viewing sometime soon.

Can only imagine what we might have seen if the wind and water had been calm enough for the BBC pelagic to have sailed to the canyons this weekend…. Though I guess, if the wind and water had been calm, maybe these birds wouldn’t have been anywhere near Massachusetts to start with?

Good birding!

Josh

Joshua S. Rose, Ph.D.
Amherst, MA