Date: 9/24/17 9:28 am
From: Gail Mackiernan <katahdinss...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Wheaton Regional Park & Brookside Gardens today 9/24
Hi all,

Quite a good day at WRP - lots of action for the passel of birders who turned out. After an initial flurry at the "ridge" (high area bordering the Shorefield parking lot), we ran into a large and very active mixed flock along Pine Lake, which was moving up and down the sunny edge, sometimes at eye level. A real "mixed" flock, too, as no single species dominated - really good diversity. Best was probably the well-photographed Philadelphia Vireo but the flock also contained Baybreasted, Blackpoll, Nashville, Tennessee, and Blackburnian Warblers as well as RC Kinglets and a Blue-headed Vireo. Had a Gray-cheeked Thrush along the mini-train tracks. Everything got quiet at about 9:30 am, but we looked into Brookside Gardens and were pleasantly surprised to run into another active mixed flock, this primarily Kinglets but also a scattering of warblers (no new species though). Two Swainson's thrushes were feeding on Sour Gum berries. A small kettle of Broadwings circled overhead, enraging the resident Red-shouldered. Lots of butterflies as well for the Lep enthusiasts, best a lovely Cloudless Sulfur. We ended up with 13 species of Warbler and 3 Vireos - not sure if anyone connected with any other species. As I said, a good day!

Gail Mackiernan and Barry Cooper,
Colesville, MD

53 species (+1 other taxa)

Green Heron 2
Turkey Vulture 3
Red-shouldered Hawk 2
Broad-winged Hawk 6
Chimney Swift 15
Ruby-throated Hummingbird 1 Gardens
Belted Kingfisher 1
Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted) 4
Pileated Woodpecker 2
Eastern Wood-Pewee 2
Blue-headed Vireo 2
Philadelphia Vireo 1
Red-eyed Vireo 8
Blue Jay 20 Estimate
House Wren (Northern) 2
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 12 Most were in Gardens
Eastern Bluebird 1 Heard only flyover
Gray-cheeked Thrush 1
Swainson's Thrush 2
American Robin 15 Estimate