Date: 9/24/17 8:41 am
From: Cliff Otto <bye.bye.nh.birdy...>
Subject: [NHBirds] OT: Need butterfly ID/also birds at Rye Harbor report
Somehow I missed the BioBlitz at Odiorne yesterday. I saw a number of peeps
and a few Plovers in the wrack along the trail to the left of the toll gate
but I don't think anything unusual.

However, I did see a small, brown butterfly with unusual spotting on the
edge of the inner hind wing. I spent a lot of time going through my guides
and also on-line yesterday but I was not able to identify the species.

My best estimate is that the wingspan was about 1" to 1.25" and while I was
not able to get photo of it with its wings closed, I don't recall seeing
any unusual markings on the outside; however, it was flitting around a lot
so I could have missed seeing any.

The photo is not great because it was taken with my cellphone and I also
zoomed in when I cropped the picture. Look at
http://ottoc.zenfolio.com/idhelp and click on the thumbnail for a larger
size.

Other than that, I saw a Great Blue Heron in the marsh just behind the
buildings at Rye Harbor and a Great Egret in the run-off area just down
from that (same side of 1A).

Thanks,
Cliff Otto
Manchester