Date: 9/24/17 7:51 am
From: John Callender <jbc...> [sbcobirding] <sbcobirding-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [sbcobirding] Possible Sage Thrasher at Carpinteria State Beach
The Sage Thrasher is still there this morning at 0719, running around on
that same patch of grass.

FYI: There's a special event going on (a triathlon) at the State Beach
today; hopefully that won't disturb the bird too much. Also, it being
Sunday morning, the nearby street parking around Reality Church may be
limited.

On Sat, Sep 23, 2017 at 11:32 PM Dave Compton <davcompton60...>
wrote:

> Definitely a Sage Thrasher. Nice bird! Dave
>
> On Sat, Sep 23, 2017 at 8:29 PM John Callender <jbc...>
> [sbcobirding] <sbcobirding-noreply...> wrote:
>
>> Around 6 pm today I was walking past the entrance kiosk for the State
>> Beach Campground at the south end of Palm Avenue in Carpinteria when I saw
>> a bird foraging on a grassy patch. The bird appeared to be a relatively
>> short-billed thrasher, grayish above with a speckled throat and breast. It
>> was repeatedly running and stopping in a robin-like manner.
>>
>> The bird was fairly tame, allowing me to watch it through binoculars at
>> close range (as little as 20 feet) for about 30 minutes. A couple of times
>> it was flushed from the spot by passing pedestrians, but each time it
>> returned. When it flew I saw that it had prominent buffy patches in the
>> outer corners of its otherwise-dark tail.
>>
>> I was able to get some low-quality photos by holding my phone up to my
>> binoculars; I've attached them to my eBird report. See:
>>
>> http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S39356144
>>
>> I realize sage thrasher would be very unusual, but I've had a hard time
>> coming up with an alternative ID. I'd appreciate suggestions. :-)
>>
>> If people want to try to see if the bird is still there tomorrow, I'd
>> suggest parking on the street at the south end of Palm Ave., just north of
>> the railroad tracks, then walking (carefully) across the tracks toward the
>> State Beach campground entrance. There's a model tomol (Chumash canoe) on
>> the right side of the entrance road at that point; the bird was foraging in
>> the grassy area in which the tomol is located. It's possible to stand in
>> the area of the campground amphitheater immediately to the west and have
>> good views of the grassy patch.

Join us on Facebook!