Date: 9/24/17 4:09 am
From: James Meyers <jamesleomeyers...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Broad-winged Hawks at Cromwell Valley and White Marsh Saturday 9/23/17
After receiving reports of huge Broad-winged hawk flights just to the north of us, the Cromwell VP hawk watch was hoping these birds would show up sometime on Saturday morning. The Ashland (Del.) and Southern Chester Co.(Pa.) hawk watches had a combined total of over 6,000 BWs on Friday afternoon, so the crew at Cromwell set up early on Saturday. They were not disappointed. Over 800 BWs were counted by the end of the day, Go to hawkcount.org for details.

Meanwhile I was at work in the White Marsh area of Baltimore Co., about 6 miles SE of Cromwell VP. I began scanning the sky on my lunch break just before 10:00 AM. Immediately visible were 5 small kettles of BWs scattered across the sky. Within minutes larger kettles appeared, and the hawks began streaming SW over head before reforming huge kettles over the Rosedale/Goldenring area. The sky had a nice mix of clouds so that even when the hawks gained great altitude I could still see kettle after kettle, stream after stream heading toward Baltimore city. This continued until about 1:00 PM. I estimated between 1,300 to 1,600 BWs that I saw. No doubt that I missed many as work duties called me indoors....each time I took a peak outside from the parking lot there were hawks seen. I even had the opportunity to show coworkers and customers the huge kettles overhead.

I couldn't help but think of C. Douglas Hackman's 1954 article in MARYLAND BIRDLIFE (vol. 10 numbers 2-3). He reported on hawk flights in the White marsh area when farms were more abundant that shopping malls.

Jim Meyers