Date: 9/23/17 11:09 pm
From: John Callender <jbc...> [sbcobirding] <sbcobirding-noreply...>
Subject: Fwd: [sbcobirding] Possible Sage Thrasher at Carpinteria State Beach
Oops. Meant to send this to the list.

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: John Callender <callender.john...>
Date: Sat, Sep 23, 2017 at 11:03 PM
To: Wim van Dam <wim.van.dam...>

There was a lot of trial and error before I could get any usable photos; I
was lucky the bird was so cooperative.

I also tried shooting video to show how the bird was moving. When I watched
that video at home I realized it showed the bird's spread tail when it was
flushed. I posted the video to YouTube; if you watch to the end you can see
where I tried to crop in and use slomo to show the tail a little better.

https://youtu.be/Gdmf8M3zMwo

On Sat, Sep 23, 2017 at 9:31 PM Wim van Dam <wim.van.dam...> wrote:

> That is indeed a Sage Thrasher. Nice.
>
> I'm amazed at how well your iPhone x binoculars photos turned out. I must
> be doing something wrong.
>
> Wim
>
> Wim van Dam (Solvang, CA)
> ---
> SBCO #375: Gray Catbird
>

> On Sat, Sep 23, 2017 at 8:15 PM, John Callender <jbc...>
> [sbcobirding] <sbcobirding-noreply...> wrote:
>
>> Around 6 pm today I was walking past the entrance kiosk for the State
>> Beach Campground at the south end of Palm Avenue in Carpinteria when I saw
>> a bird foraging on a grassy patch. The bird appeared to be a relatively
>> short-billed thrasher, grayish above with a speckled throat and breast. It
>> was repeatedly running and stopping in a robin-like manner.
>>
>> The bird was fairly tame, allowing me to watch it through binoculars at
>> close range (as little as 20 feet) for about 30 minutes. A couple of times
>> it was flushed from the spot by passing pedestrians, but each time it
>> returned. When it flew I saw that it had prominent buffy patches in the
>> outer corners of its otherwise-dark tail.
>>
>> I was able to get some low-quality photos by holding my phone up to my
>> binoculars; I've attached them to my eBird report. See:
>>
>> http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S39356144
>>
>> I realize sage thrasher would be very unusual, but I've had a hard time
>> coming up with an alternative ID. I'd appreciate suggestions. :-)
>>
>> If people want to try to see if the bird is still there tomorrow, I'd
>> suggest parking on the street at the south end of Palm Ave., just north of
>> the railroad tracks, then walking (carefully) across the tracks toward the
>> State Beach campground entrance. There's a model tomol (Chumash canoe) on
>> the right side of the entrance road at that point; the bird was foraging in
>> the grassy area in which the tomol is located. It's possible to stand in
>> the area of the campground amphitheater immediately to the west and have
>> good views of the grassy patch.

Join us on Facebook!