Date: 9/23/17 9:51 pm
From: Tom SHANE <tom.shane...>
Subject: Birds along Hwy 50 today.
Sara and I drove to Hutchinson and back today on US 50 to attend a wedding. West of Ingalls near the rest area we had a Bald Eagle. Other raptor numbers and ratios, were a little unusual, with a low count of 8 - Red-tailed Hawks, 1 - Harrier, & no Swainson's or Kestrels. The highest Turkey Vulture count that we had was 47 over Kinsley. We had a few small flocks of Franklin's Gulls going south over US 50, primarily south of Quivira.

For the entire trip we observed only one Scissor-tailed Flycatcher. For a two mile stretch between Cimarron & Ingalls we found a dispersed flock of 150 Barn Swallows feeding along the highway and up along the north slope of the Arkansas River valley. We observed only a few other BARS on the rest of the trip.

Tom Shane
Garden City

https://listserv.ksu.edu/ksbird-l.html
For KSBIRD-L guidelines go to