Date: 9/23/17 7:50 pm
From: Rudolph Keller <rckeller...>
Subject: 9/23 warblers & thrushes, berks
As Carole Winslow found in western PA, lots of birds in Berks & Schuylkill
have been moving on not much of a north wind during the last few nights.
South Lookout at Hawk Mt. Sanctuary is a good place to stand in the hour
before sunrise listening for nocturnal migrants coming down from their red
eye night flights. This morning I counted over 1100 calls, mostly of
Swainson's Thrush. I was a little surprised to hear only 4 Gray-cheeked
Thrush calls in that large crowd. Warbler counts at North Lookout have been
good in the last few days. This morning's standout in that group was a
remarkable count of 203 Cape May Warblers, plus lots of Tennessee,
Black-throated Green and Scarlet Tanager. When that many birds pass, darting
in and out of foliage, in such a short time, I feel as though I'm looking
through a kaleidoscope, with each turn of the glass revealing a new pattern
of colorful fragments. The list is below.

Rudy Keller
Boyertown, PA
Berks County

Join us on Facebook!