Date: 9/23/17 7:46 pm
From: <tiorick...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Cooper's Hawk drowning a duck
Hi OC Birders, this Cooper's surprised a big flock of mixed ducks, teals, and shovelers and one flew up right into it's claws. He/she slammed it back down into the water and held it down until, I guess, it could tell that the fowl had drowned. You can see just one feather of the victim. Unfortunately, I was trying to get a bit closer when it suddenly took off with its prize. Interestingly all the other ducks paddled over and I thought they might mob the hawk, but they just got close and then turned away. Photos on my eBird submission.

http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S39350339 http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S39350339

Rick Shearer
HB

Join us on Facebook!