Date: 9/23/17 6:03 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (23 Sep 2017) 4641 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 4641 10742 10751

Observation start time: 08:30:00
Observation end time: 18:00:00
Total observation time: 9.5 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Hank Davis, John McNamara, Kathleen Pileggi, Mike Fowles

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (24): Hank Davis. Kathleen Pileggi, Mike & Evelyn Fowles, Rhoda
McNitt, Bob Reitz, Lorrie Sherron, John McNamara, Gerry Teig, Laura Wagner,
Tim Zador (and PA Master Naturalist group of 9), Ken Reynolds, Susan
McLaughlin, Lee Peterson, Austin Matthews.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Mostly Sunny (25-10% cloud cover), Ceiling - 30,000 ft., Visibility - 10
miles, Temps 60 - 87F, Winds NNW @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 1-Bald Eagle,
2-Cooper's Hawk, 2-Red-shouldered Hawk, 4-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous
Black (70) and Turkey Vultures (70).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-4; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-1; 4 yr.-0; adult-8
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ ---“Leftovers Are Better the Second Day?”---

Some of yesterday’s Broad-winged Hawks were seen at nearby Longwood
Gardens, as well, with a few hundred reported from there. (HD, JM)

Hank conducted this morning’s warbler walk over to “warbler meadow,” with
the following warblers being in attendance – Parula, Magnolia,
Black-throated Blue, and American Redstart. Hank returned to The Watch
just as things were heating up. It was 9:03am. The bright sunny day and
weather were heating the earth’s surface and the air just above, causing it
to rise, lifting up higher and higher and taking with it…the day’s first
Broad-winged Hawk, which had just lifted off the sycamore tree to our
northeast. It flapped its, wings just a few quick strokes and it was in
the thermal, rising effortlessly, in wide, clockwise circles. Three
minutes later, another swept up to join this winged traveler riding the
same thermal. It had begun… we had “liftoff!” A group of three was soon to
join the group, then four more came in one fowl (sorry) swoop…we had our
first kettle. The first of so very many on this incredible day! These
birds had all spent the night right here at Bucktoe, lifting into the air
right before us.

News came from Kelley at Ashland Hawk Watch that the same was happening
there. By 10am we had counted 745 Broad-wings. My clicker is balking at
the increased work load. Not only will it often refuse to click, but it
will fail to advance the numbers. That simply will not do!! I mean, THAT
is a “clicker’s” lone job, right? I believe it is opting for early
retirement.

We had seen nearly 4,000 by the time it slowed down at 11am. By then, the
sky had turned bluer. That, combined with the stronger thermals, advancing
hour and increased temperatures had lofted the birds into obscurity. Soon,
Tim arrived with his PA Naturalist class from TLC with news of yet another
Bald Eagle and more Broad-wings. (TZ)

Just as the day was closing, Lorrie discovered a Common Nighthawk and will
have to be punished!

As similar as these last two days were, they were just that different. The
daily counts are very close, but the hawks came in late yesterday, were
here early today, with no repeat of the flight in this evening. I expect
liftoff tomorrow to be far less awe-inspiring than the spectacle this
morning afforded. THAT was memorable and I am SO HAPPY that many of you
will share in the same memory!

All I can say is….WOW!!!! Tomorrow, we have our weekly walk first at 8am,
before the Watch runs the remainder of the day. It will have to go some to
match this day…
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
1-COMMON NIGHTHAWK, 8-Northern Parula, 12-Magnolia Warbler,
1-Black-throated Blue Warbler, 3-American Redstart, 1-Blue Grosbeak,
10-Bobolink.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (16): Monarch - 85, Cabbage White,
Crescent, Orange Sulphur, Common Checkered Skipper, Buckeye, Red-spotted
Purple, Variegated Fritillary, Wild Indigo Duskywing, Sachem, Red Admiral,
Cloudless Sulphur, Great Spangled Fritillary. Dragonflies (3): Green
Darner, Black Saddlebags, Halloween Pennant. Reptiles & Amphibians (0):
Mammals (1): Eastern Cottontail.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 5.79; Steps: 13,581; Floors:
40.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 53; this season: 110
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks sunny, even warmer, light winds and very light
cloud cover.
<BR><BR>
Rain or shine.

Site Description: