Date: 9/23/17 5:20 pm
From: Stephen Mirick <smirick...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Odiorne Bioblitz (Caspian Terns, NORTHERN FULMARS, Citrine Forktail)
Jane and I joined forces today for the annual BIOBLITZ at Odiorne Point
State Park.  This annual event is organized by the Seacoast Science
Center where the plan is to get a bunch of experts to join forces in
trying to identify as many species of living organisms within the park
in one day.  Jane and I focused on the things we know.......birds and
butterflies and dragonflies.    Other awesome birders and buggers
working the park included Ben Griffith, Lauren Kras, Jason Lambert, Art
Borror, David Blezard, Kyle Wilmarth, Len Medlock, Robbie Prieto, and
many others.

Several days of continuous NE winds and some rain have not been terribly
conducive to many species and migration, but fortunately the sun came
out today to help with some insects and the NE winds died down a bit to
give a mild afternoon.

The total list of all that I saw or heard about seen by others is shown
below:

Birds - 79 Species
------------------------
Canada Goose - 2
American Black Duck - 1
Mallard - 1
Common Eider
Surf Scoter - A handful flying offshore
White-winged Scoter - A handful flying offshore
Black Scoter - A couple of small flocks migrating offshore
Common Loon - 8 migrating in AM.  A few on water.
NORTHERN FULMAR - 2 pale morph.  Extremely rare sighting and last birds
of the day!  Definitely the avian rarity of the day.  We typically spend
the last hour or two scanning offshore, hoping to get some birds flying
by.  We weren't getting much this evening except for a few scoters and
distant gannets.  Everyone had left except for Jane and I and Jason
Lambert.  We were just about to give up when we saw a single Northern
Fulmar and watched in for a full minute or more as it flew continuously
south and passed by Appledore Island.  Then, remarkably, a SECOND bird
flew past following the same track.  These are the FIRST BIOBLITZ
RECORDS and my first EVER for Odiorne!  Not at all, a typical bird to
see from shore at Odiorne.
Northern Gannet - A few dozen, but most far offshore.
Double-crested Cormorant
Great Cormorant - 1 adult sitting on rocks off Fort Foster.
Great Blue Heron
Great Egret - Just 1
Osprey - Just 1
Red-tailed Hawk - Very tame adult along trails.
Merlin - 2
Peregrine Falcon - 1
Black-bellied Plover
Semipalmated Plover
Spotted Sandpiper
Greater Yellowlegs
Sanderling
Semipalmated Sandpiper
Least Sandpiper
Bonaparte's Gull - A few distant flocks in morning and evening.
Laughing Gull - Just 1 for day
Ring-billed Gull
Herring Gull
LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL - 2 including "Woody" the adult on flats by
wooden bridge with excellent scope views of a JUVENILE BIRD. Relatively
rare plumage.
Great Black-backed Gull
CASPIAN TERN - Group of 4 seen by Len and Lisa Medlock in AM.
Mourning Dove
Belted Kingfisher
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Hairy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Eastern Wood-Pewee
Eastern Phoebe
Blue-headed Vireo
Warbling Vireo
Red-eyed Vireo
Blue Jay
American Crow
COMMON RAVEN - 1 (still an uncommon bird for Odiorne)
Tree Swallow
Black-capped Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
White-breasted Nuthatch
Carolina Wren
House Wren
Golden-crowned Kinglet
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
American Robin
Gray Catbird
Northern Mockingbird
Cedar Waxwing
Black-and-white Warbler
Common Yellowthroat
American Redstart
Magnolia Warbler
Blackpoll Warbler
Black-throated Blue Warbler
Palm Warbler
Pine Warbler
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Prairie Warbler
Wilson's Warbler
Chipping Sparrow
Savannah Sparrow
Nelson's Sparrow - Jason Lambert had nice views of both Nelson's and
Saltmarsh Sparrows side by side in salt marsh opposite first pull-off
south of Odiorne.
Saltmarsh Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Swamp Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow
Northern Cardinal
House Finch
American Goldfinch

Odonates (dragonflies & damselflies) - 9 species
Spotted Spreadwing - The only common odonate for the day
Familiar Bluet
CITRINE FORKTAIL - 1 found by Jason at freshwater marsh.  FIRST RECORD
FOR BIOBLITZ!  Smallest New England damselfly and very local in NH.
Eastern Forktail
Common Green  Darner - Very few
Aeshna sp. - 1
Wandering Glider - 1
Ruby Meadowhawk (or is it Cherry-faced?) - A few.  No Autumns noted.
Black Saddlebags - 1
Other species of dragonflies were identified by nymph stage in pond.

Butterflies - 11 species
---------------------------------
Clouded Sulphur
Orange Sulphur
American Copper
Gray Hairstreak
Eastern Tailed-Blue
Monarch - Nice to see several around this fall.
Common Buckeye - 2
Red Admiral
Painted Lady - A good year for Painted Ladies.
American Lady
Common Ringlet

and

WHITE FURCULA MOTH CATERPILLAR -  Cool looking bug!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevemirick/36563498574/in/dateposted/

Steve Mirick (for group)
Bradford, MA