Date: 9/23/17 12:20 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET James O. Breen Park (St Charles) & Wood Dale Reservoir Saturday 9-23-17
Hello Bird People,

As we get closer to October I am trying to see as many shorebirds as I
can locally. Since several interesting species have been reported
lately from J.O. Breen Park I thought I'd start off there.
You may recall that a Red Necked Phalarope was seen there in August.

James O. Breen Community Park (St Charles) (7:45-9:15 a.m.)

Other birders that I know were here ahead of me including Don L & Wes
S & later on local area birder Walt also arrived. Also arriving was a
group from Kane Co Audubon so we had lots of folks to help find things
& find things we did.

D.C. Cormorant (3 drying their wings & 3 more fly-bys)
Great Egret (Max=6)
Canada Goose (eventually up to 7) & Mallard (2)
OSPREY (1 flying east) & Red Tailed Hawk (1 on a goal post)
Semipalmated Plover (1-AD & 1-IM)
Killdeer (45-49)
Lesser Yellowlegs (10, but no Greaters)
BAIRD'S (1) & Pectoral (2, but Don & Wes saw 4) Sandpipers
STILT SANDPIPER (11)
BUFF BREASTED SANDPIPER (3)
Wilson's Snipe (3)
Horned Lark (5-6)
AMERICAN PIPIT (2 & 1 did a proper Pipit strut)
Savannah Sparrow (6-7)
We saw a single Gull fly in which I originally was a young Herring &
it may have been but I am just not positive enough to be 100% sure?
Guess I'll call it a "Gull Species?" as it may have been a larger than
normal Ring Billed Gull. When you're not sure you have to admit it.

By 9:30 it was already pushing 90 degrees but I made one short stop at
the Wood Dale Reservoir as I could scan the water from the top &
didn't have to hike far in the heat. So not much work & not many birds
either.

Wood Dale Reservoir (10:45-11:10 a.m.)

D.C. Cormorant (2), Great Blues (5) & Great Egret (2, but only 1
stayed for long)
Killdeer (39) & Pectoral Sandpiper (1)
Ring Billed Gull (34)
Blue Jay (2 making lots of noise)

Bird-Of-The-Day to the Buff Breasted Sandpipers &
Runners-Up to the Baird's & Stilt Sandpipers.

Al Stokie
Making the best of a hot & humid day in Kane & DuPage Co's

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: