Date: 9/23/17 12:10 pm
From: Carole <cjwinslow94...>
Subject: Warren Co- Swainson's thrush extravaganza
I've been listening to morning flight calls most of the past week, including this morning, and it's been a wonderful stretch of migration. Today I was near Tidioute, and listened at the open hilltop at Hickory Creek Wilderness Ranch. Probably a couple thousand calls in 25 minutes between 6:10 and 6:35 am. The majority were Swainson's. So I expected to see some today but nothing like what I found. Don and I hiked the Tanbark trail from near Dunham Siding Rd, going in the north side of the road and ending up on part of Tom's Run Trail, ending at the picnic area at Heart's Content. We started at 8a when it was still pretty cool and fairly dark in the hemlock woods. Immediately on entering the sound of Swainson's thrushes filled the air. All the different calls could be heard as well as singing birds, mostly perched up high in the trees where the sun was shining. As we continued, we found many birds singing, or calling or both the entire stretch till we reached Heart's Content, 2.3 miles. It was incredible to me that they were everywhere, and while this spot is breeding territory in summer, I can't believe they were local birds this time of year. I'm only sorry I did not have the presence of mind to get a recording. My total count was 22 but I'm sure that is conservative, 30 wouldn't surprise me. I also heard one gray-cheeked calling and 3 wood and a hermit in a section where the forest opened up and Swainson's were absent.

It was an incredible morning and I added in a few warblers for good measure, including bay-breasted, blackpoll, magnolia and black-throated green and blue.

Love the Allegheny National Forest!!

Carole Winslow
Sligo, Clarion Co