Date: 9/22/17 6:32 pm
From: John Fussell <jofuss...>
Subject: Buff-breasted Sandpiper at Rachel Carson Reserve, NC
Today, during a shorebird census, I saw a juvenile Buff-breasted Sandpiper
at the Rachel Carson Reserve, Beaufort Inlet, NC.

The species is rare at this site, where virtually all shorebird habitat
consists of intertidal flats. In fact, this is only the second one I've
seen there, the first being a month ago. (I assume today's bird was a
different bird, but perhaps not.)

Other observations include 11 Piping Plovers and 11 Wilson's Plovers. One
of the Piping Plovers had a green flag with white engraving on the upper
left leg and a blue band (or flag?) on the upper right leg.

John Fussell
Morehead City, NC

Join us on Facebook!