Date: 9/22/17 5:04 pm
From: Charles Gates <cgates326...>
Subject: [COBOL] Crook Birds
I did some Crook County birding this morning.  I found the following:

Powell Butte near the fire station - 4 Horned Larks - There has been a
flock there all week.  See Kingbird for link to pics.

Powell Butte near the fire station -1 Western Kingbird - Late date for
this species is October 5 by Lew Rems but this is the second latest
record I can find. http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S39331052

Houston Lake - 1 Say's Phoebe - Only a dozen or so records this late in
September (and at least two records in October).

Prineville Sewer Ponds - 1 Red-necked Phalarope.

Prineville Sewer Ponds - 1 Spotted Sandpiper - A little late for this
species

Prineville Sewer Ponds - 1 Eared Grebe

Prineville Sewer Ponds - 1 Bank Swallow - These are usually gone by now
but a few are hanging around this year.  Aside from one dubious record
in 1962, this is the latest date for this species. See Phalarope link
for pic.

Prineville Sewer Ponds - 14 Vaux's Swifts

Crooked River Wetlands - Zilch...Nada...Zippo - Only shorebird was a
single Killdeer

My House in Powell Butte - Sooty Fox Sparrow - This is the normal
subspecies for the fall at my house but this seems really early.

Mark Twain

Chuck Gates
541-280-4957
Powell Butte,