Date: 9/22/17 4:38 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (22 Sep 2017) 4537 Raptors

Observers: George Graham

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (2): George Graham.
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Mostly Sunny to Partly Sunny (25-75% cloud cover), Ceiling - 30,000 ft.,
Visibility - 10 miles, Temps 69 - 81F, Winds NNW @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Cooper's Hawk,
1-Red-shouldered Hawk, 4-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (65) and
Turkey Vultures (70).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-0; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-0; adult-2
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ ---“When Nature Calls? You Just Might Want to ANSWER
it!”---

A Lincoln’s Sparrow was again at our Watch feeders this morning, eating the
cracked corn spread on the ground. Palm Warblers were in the meadow, their
chip call notes reaching my ears on occasion, while Phoebes are enjoying
the guide wires of the MOTUS tower, and I, my coffee.

Shortly after 10am, the Broad-wings started and with them, numbers of
Sharp-shinned Hawks. Over the next hour or so I saw several hundred hawks,
the view aided spectacularly by a fine tapestry of white clouds. Ospreys
were interwoven into the fabric of the flight, too. Not joining the
kettle, in fact streaking past faster than this species typically does, was
a Kestrel lower to the ground.

I was in communication with Ashland, which hadn’t had any Broad-wings, yet;
and CAOS, which had been doing about as well as I, but had to call it a
day. Mike, as the only surviving member of CAOS, has many irons in the
fire and many duties to occupy his time.

Amid all this, George arrived.
“Hurry George, they’re flying…you’ll see lots of Broad-wings!” I
exclaimed.
You guessed it…things dried up just then. There was nothing for George,
but a few distant Ospreys.
When will I learn? Still, we persisted…

During these doldrums, George mentioned that he’d had a somewhat late
Nighthawk fly over his Chester Springs home this week. (GG)

George tried my field coffee
“How is it, George?” I asked.
“I haven’t tried it yet. It’s too hot.” Came the reply.
“You might want to stop right there, George….you’re tasting it at its peak
then – not having sampled any! It’s downhill from there!”

A Palm Warbler, taking a que from a wildly thrashing Song Sparrow, took to
our amazing water feature and bathed himself. A Swamp Sparrow was new for
the Watch today – also in the feeders.

Around 2:00-ish, nature began calling. I headed towards our rest room in
the field some 100 yards distant. I saw a Phoebe on our MOTUS tower and
sought to share it with George. More attempts to answer nature’s call
followed, each as unsuccessful as the previous. First a “ketlet” (a new
term I’ll give partial-full credit to Joe Sebastiani for coining yesterday
with my “kettle” of 6 Broadwings, we had discussed) – now, there were 3
Broad-wings…we’ll call that a micro-ketlet. I simply had to share this
sighting with George – that’s why he was here. And remember he had just
missed the several hundred birds I saw this morning. George saw these
three birds.

I tried for the rest room again. This time Sharp-shinned Hawks would
interfere. Third time the charm?? No way…an Osprey kept me from the
relief I so desperately sought. Nature was still calling. I tried to go
again. A Palm Warbler wouldn’t allow it.

Then nature called back! NO, you’re not listening - it REALLY called
back!!! I had made it, finally, to our rest room. Telling George as I
left, “Watch the sky, it’s yours till I get back!”
I took care of “business,” barely (pun?), when I heard George screaming my
name. He had apparently “ran” with my advice! He had word on what “his
sky” held…
“Larry, get out here quick. I just had 50 Broad-wings in a kettle…right
here!” George yelled, very excitedly.

I got out and looking, appropriately, back over the outhouse, saw
Broad-winged Hawks EVERYWHERE! Ketlet, my butt (lol), there were full
kettles filling the sky in all directions - Sharpies and Ospreys within the
twisting, writhing bio-masses, too. My “clicker” was put into overdrive.
Quick where’s my lube?? This thing has already seen better days…this thing
is an “old-school” counter, to begin with. My hand nearly cramped up from
all the clicks I made…..well over 4,000 Broad-wings!!!

During all this, my cell phone alarm sounded at 3pm, signaling the end of
my day here at Bucktoe. I’m going NOWHERE! You don’t leave THIS – you GO
to THIS!!! I’m staying overtime today!!!

Shortly after 4pm, it was over for today. However we watched very many of
these birds land in the woods here at Bucktoe. Tomorrow morning’s liftoff
could be fabulous! Be here!! Tomorrow is predicted to be great again, but
very warm…..Sweat Bees, rejoice!!

And while most people just “go” when nature calls…the intrepid birder
merely answers the call! INCREDIBLE DAY and full-partial credit there,
George!! So glad you were here to share this experience with me -
answering the call of nature.

And just to put a ribbon on this magical day, as I write this in the
diminishing light at my Bucktoe “field office,” a female Harrier courses
the meadow, close at hand and 4 Common Nighthawks flew over. Keeping your
earlier Nighthawk report in mind George, that brings things full circle,
doesn’t it?
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
4-COMMON NIGHTHAWK, 1-Ruby-crowned Kinglet, 6-Palm Warbler, 1-Swamp
Sparrow, 1-Lincoln's Sparrow, 1-Blue Grosbeak, 10-Bobolink.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (12): Monarch - 75, Cabbage White,
Crescent, Orange Sulphur, Common Checkered Skipper, Buckeye, Variegated
Fritillary, Wild Indigo Duskywing, Sachem. Dragonflies (3): Green Darner,
Black Saddlebags, Halloween Pennant. Repptiles & Amphibians (0): Mammals
(1): Eastern Cottontail.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 5.55; Steps: 13,019; Floors:
12.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 53; this season: 110
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (1):” Swamp
Sparrow.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks the very same, but less cloud cover predicted, for
what that's worth. Less cloud cover was predicted today!
<BR><BR>
Rain or shine.

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek