Date: 9/22/17 4:22 pm
Subject: Re: [Va-bird] Goshawk in Annandale, Fairfax County
As Mike Tove consistently says, it is hard to be sure of Goshawk sightings.

But, when a birder says he sees goshawk every 30 years, it is time to think. It is not like he has an itchy id finger.

Somehow this rare species filters into the coastal area of NC every year. While the main push of goshawks at the northern hawkwatches is November-December, people need to be on the lookout for this species now.

In trees near water. The goshawks I have seen in NC were around water, though my purported sightings are of flying birds.

Frank Enders, Halifax, NC