Date: 9/22/17 4:13 pm
Subject: Re: [Va-bird] large Cowbird flock, Fairfax County 21 September
On September 20, I was looking for the odd shrike here and there, only to encounter a stream of bunches of cowbirds flying low southwest (4 PM) over Grapevine Road near airport road into a herd of cattle.

More than 150 cowbirds, and only cowbirds, as this post by Stephen Johnson described in grass the next day in Fairfax County (Chantilly) VA.

As he said, no other "blackbird" species, and a big number, probably migrants.

I had thought "Wow, that is a lot of local cowbirds gathered together." But, I think he is right, migrants. Now.

Frank Enders, Halifax, NC