Date: 9/22/17 2:36 pm
From: David Boltz via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Savannah Sparrows at Sky Meadows SP, Fauquier County
Overall, birding was pretty slow this morning at Sky Meadows State Park. I managed only 35 species in about 3 hours, but I did find my FOS Savannah Sparrows near the sheds/barns in the Turner Pond area. I followed the signs for the 5K route around the hidden pond (currently no water) and turned left at the T in the trail. The sparrows were along the fence line. I only found 3 warbler species on Shearman’s Mill loop (Magnolia, Common Yellowthroat, No. Waterthrush), and a couple of Wood Thrushes. I also managed 6 woodpecker species (no Sapsuckers as yet). I gave a quick look in the main entrance and visitors center area for the Yellow-headed Blackbird that was reported on Monday, but no luck on that.

One of the Savannahs posed nicely on a fencepost for a few pics, which can be seen on my checklist at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S39331754 .

Dave Boltz
Lake Frederick