Date: 9/22/17 1:35 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Chicago Botanic Garden & Both Technys Friday 9-22-17
Hello Bird People,

For the 1st time since early June I birded the entire Chicago Botanic
Garden from the North Lake to the Barbara Brown Preserve in the S.E
corner. During July, August & early Sept I only covered the backwater
area just north of Rt 68/Dundee Rd in search of shorebirds &
heron/egrets. I will continue to look for backwater birds but it's
time to begin looking for other birds as well. Time marches on!

Chicago Botanic Garden (7-10 a.m.)

P.B. Grebe (1)
D.C. Cormorant (4 in the B. Brown Pond & 15 fly-bys)
Great Blue Heron (5)
Great Egret (1)
Canada Goose (79, all areas)
Wood Duck (42 with 35 at the B. Brown Pond)
Mallard (38, all areas)
Blue Winged Teal (7, backwaters)
Killdeer (18, backwaters)
Spotted Sandpiper (1 at the Northern Lake)
Least (2) & Semipalmated (1) Sandpipers (backwaters)
Pectoral Sandpiper (2, backwaters)
Herring Gull (1 or 2 adults)
Mourning Dove (4)
Belted Kingfisher (2 seen at opposite ends of the CBG but might be 1
moving around?)
Blue Jay (8-10), Chickadee (4) & W.B. Nuthatch (H-1)
CAPE MAY WARBLER (1-M)
Common Yellowthroat (1-M)
Savannah (1) & Song (3) Sparrows
LINCOLN'S SPARROW (1)
Red Winged Blackbird (2-M)
House Finch (1) & Goldfinch (12-15)
House Sparrow (3-4)

And saving the best for last there was a large Eagle on an overhanging
branch at the far east end of the Barbara Brown Preserve Pond. Didn't
see it at 1st as it was blocked from view until I walked right up to
the east end viewing area with benches. It was only about 35 ft away &
I looked at it & it looked at me & to avoid flushing it I sat down on
the bench after which the Eagle seemed to lose interest in me.
Eventually it decided to fly & cruised over the pond as if looking for
a fish to catch. So along with 2 CBG workers I was able to see it was
a 1st year BALD EAGLE based on the amount of white on the underside of
the wings. Prior to flying all you could say was that it was all brown
but all you could see was it's head & back. I knew it was unlikely
that it would be a Golden Eagle (adult) & once in flight it showed it
was not.

As there have been 2 adult Bald Eagles seen both at the CBG & Skokie
Lagoons since May you have to wonder if they did nest & this young
Eagle hatched there but no one ever found a nest?

Techny North & Techny Basin South both have mud flats again but
shorebirds were few. At Techny North only 1 Killdeer & 2 Snipe & at
Techny Basin South only 2 Killdeer & 1 Solitary Sandpiper. Other than
that only the same groups of herons, egrets & ducks.

Covering both the large & the small of things Bird-Of-The-Day goes to
the (large) young Bald Eagle & Runner-Up to the (small) Cape May
Warbler.

Al Stokie
In Cook County today birding early to beat the heat

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: