Date: 9/22/17 11:52 am
From: Tim Carney <timmyc83...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Poplar Island 9/21/2017
Another very productive census yesterday.

The SABINE'S GULL was still in the same spot where I found it on 9/8/2017, but it flew offshore in the morning and I did not see it when I re-checked the area at 12:00 and 14:30.

Five HUDSONIAN GODWITS were in the same area as the Sabine's.

There seemed to be an influx of American Golden-Plovers. I counted 12, which was my personal high count for the island. Other good shorebirds included Baird's Sandpiper (1), Wilson's Phalarope (1), Red-necked Phalarope (4), and a possible Long-billed Dowitcher.

I saw one each of Yellow-crowned Night-Heron, Common Gallinule, and Marsh Wren.

Dabbling ducks were plentiful in Cell 6, with Northern Shoveler being the most numerous.

Transient passerines were present but I was hoping for more variety. A Black-and-white Warbler was probably the most notable species.

eBird checklist with photos: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S39328490

Tim Carney
Parkville/Towson, MD