Date: 9/22/17 9:56 am
Subject: Re: La Moye Park
I took a look at our (NCDOT) Bike/Ped Plan for Hookerton, as this is the
only plan we have on file in Greene County.

Hookerton is on the banks of Contentnea Creek. The plan map does show
some trails north of Contentnea Creek as publicly accessible.

Another couple of (potential) public locations for birding are some
proposed shared-use paths (a.k.a. greenways) in three locations on the
proposed bike/ped network for the town.

There is also a public place called "Hookerton Recreation Park" east of the
town limits, which is one of the termini of a proposed shared-use path. I
don't know what kind of park this is -- could be just soccer fields, but at
least it is a public park.

The map I am looking at is Exhibit 4.4 just before p. 61 of the plan. See
the plan document online at
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__connect.ncdot.gov_municipalities_PlanningGrants_Documents_Hookerton-2520Bike-2520and-2520Ped-2520Plan.pdf&d=DwIBaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=ycZ6FylzJkhGh5J80VNiT5Pax6jqJ1kYOjgvtNQPfj4&s=Uw3F-r2aw7mRdKYgZOKMtoMyTnpfT6X2puN6f_M5hUA&e=

Just offering this info as a starting point as Ann noted, in case helpful
to someone trying to find a place to bird in Greene County.

Betsy Kane
Raleigh

On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 7:04 PM, Ann Brice <carolinabirds...> wrote:

> I have gone there several times. Greene County has the lowest species
> count of any county in NC (91). When we were being encouraged to bird in
> other counties, I made it a point to try to find places to bird in Greene
> County. It has been a challenge to find any public space. The boat ramps
> are about the only public space I could find. The boat ramp in Snow Hill
> has a bigger land area. I took a kayak and birded from the creek last time
> and had pretty good luck.
>
> I think the number of species is so low because, as near as I can
> determine, there are no large bodies of water in the county.
>
> I didn't submit it as a hotspot but if you are not familiar with the area,
> it may be helpful to someone trying to find a place to bird.
>
> Ann Brice
> Wilson, NC
>
> On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 6:31 PM, Peter Quadarella <carolinabirds...>
> wrote:
>
>> Has anyone been to the ebird hotspot "La Moye Park" in Greene County,
>> NC? Either I missed something while there today or it is completely
>> overgrown with kudzu and other vegetation - so not much of a hotspot
>> anymore.
>>
>> Peter Quadarella,
>> Weddington, NC

Join us on Facebook!