Date: 9/22/17 9:36 am
From: Gail Mackiernan <katahdinss...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Wheaton Regional Park today 9/22
Hi all,

Started out dead at WRP and we thought, well, at least we will get some exercise...then when we got to Pine Lake, things picked up quickly. Several mixed flocks moved along the lake front, only to disappear into the woods - not enough sun to keep them on the edges - or flew across to the opposite shore. Ended up circling the lake twice. We had several Firsts of Season, including a cooperate Gray-cheeked Thrush feeding in dogwood, a Sapsucker near the picnic area, and a Blue-headed Vireo along the lake. Only nine species of warbler for us, although other birders saw a few additional, and a bit of a strange assortment - almost no Redstarts, and very few BT Greens. Double digits of Magnolias and Yellowthroat, though. Low numbers of Red-eyes. Several RC Kinglets spoke of autumn but no sparrows yet, other than Chipping. Walking back to our car, the picnic area was alive with Flickers, Blue Jays, and Robins and a small flock of Broadwings circled above the parking lot. They looked as if they had just risen out of the woods. It was so late by then that we didn't do our usual look-in at Brookside Gardens.

Good day after all!

Gail Mackiernan and Barry Cooper
Colesville, MD

50 species (+3 other taxa)
Birds of interest:

Wood Duck 2
Great Blue Heron 1
Green Heron 1
Sharp-shinned Hawk 1
Red-shouldered Hawk 1
Broad-winged Hawk 10
Chimney Swift 7
Ruby-throated Hummingbird 2
Red-bellied Woodpecker 15 Seemed to be everywhere.
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker 1 FOS
Hairy Woodpecker (Eastern) 1
Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted) 15
Pileated Woodpecker 2
Alder/Willow Flycatcher (Traill's Flycatcher) 1
Empidonax sp. 1
Eastern Phoebe 3
Blue-headed Vireo 1
Red-eyed Vireo 5